Date:

Region: Essen

BPOL NRW: Dangerous Interference with Rail Traffic - Federal Police Investigating

Last night (January 16), a man clung to a departing S-Bahn train at Essen's main station. A railway employee noticed the situation and was able to give a warning signal to the train driver, who then initiated an emergency brake.
When the witness then wanted to contact the federal police, the suspect attacked him.

At around 10:35 pm, the federal police station in Essen was informed about a S-Bahn surfer. Prior to this, the 36-year-old is said to have stood on the step of the driver's cab during the departure of the S9. The 33-year-old witness, who noticed the situation, then gave a warning signal to the train driver. As a result, the train driver initiated an emergency brake, causing the S-Bahn to stop after about 20 meters. When the railway employee (33) then wanted to notify the federal police, the man from Cologne is said to have tried to snatch the mobile phone from his hand, leading to a scuffle between the two men. Subsequently, the German citizen got on the S-Bahn, where the federal police officers finally found him.

When the uniformed officers confronted the 36-year-old with the allegations, he exercised his right to remain silent. In addition, the man from Cologne was unrepentant and uncooperative towards the officers.

Meanwhile, the 21-year-old witness told the police officers that she and the accused wanted to get on the train. The doors of the S-Bahn are said to have been closed at this time, after which the man from Cologne ran towards the driver's cab, stood on the step and knocked on the window. Shortly afterwards, the train is said to have started moving. The train driver claims not to have noticed the 36-year-old or his knocking, and to have initiated an emergency brake only because of the warning signal from his colleague.

Due to the situation, the 29-year-old train driver was no longer able to continue his service and had to be replaced. Passengers on the S-Bahn were not injured.

The federal police officers secured the video material from the surveillance cameras and initiated an investigation against the man from Cologne for dangerous interference with rail traffic and for assault.

For further inquiries, please contact:

Federal Police Directorate Sankt Augustin
Federal Police Inspection Dortmund
Press Office
Pia Leonhardt
Phone: +49 (0) 231 / 56 22 47 - 1012
Mobile: +49 (0) 173/ 71 50 710
Email: presse.do@polizei.bund.de
X (Twitter): @BPOL NRW

Untere Brinkstraße 81-89
44141 Dortmund

www.bundespolizei.de

Further information can be obtained atwww.bundespolizei.deor
at the above contact address.

Original content from: Federal Police Directorate Sankt Augustin, transmitted by news aktuell

Comments

No comments so far.

Latest Posts

Greven, Data-Phishing

Greven, Data-Phishing

A 70-year-old man from Greven fell victim to data phishing on Tuesday (14.01.25).He initially received an SMS on his mobile phone
Read more
Traffic checks - several drivers caught with their phones

Traffic checks - several drivers caught with their phones

On Thursday, between 09:30 am - 2:00 pm, several checkpoints were set up in Schifferstadt on Hauptstraße and at Südbahnhof, as well as in Mutterstadt on Neustadter Straße by officers of the Schifferstadt Police Inspection. In total, six mobile ...
Read more
Bad Wildungen - Missing Günther D. is back

Bad Wildungen - Missing Günther D. is back

Günther D., who has been missing since Thursday evening (16th January), has been found (please refer to the press release of 17.01.2025, 02.10 am from the North Hesse Police Headquarters at
Read more
Beckum. Teenager missing - Information requested

Beckum. Teenager missing - Information requested

Currently, intensive search efforts are underway for a 14-year-old girl from Beckum, who has been missing since Wednesday (15.01.2025). The teenager could be in the Warendorf district, but also has contacts in the Rhineland. She is described as fo...
Read more
Press Release Police Commissariat Peine from 19.01.2025

Press Release Police Commissariat Peine from 19.01.2025

Driving without a licenseOn late Friday evening, a 44-year-old car driver was checked in his Audi on Celler Straße in Peine
Read more
Hamminkeln - Police Citizen Consultation Hour

Hamminkeln - Police Citizen Consultation Hour

The district service officers in Hamminkeln will be available for questions from interested citizens on the upcoming Tuesday, 21.1.2025, from 4 pm to 6 pm.The officers expect you at this time in the service building Hamminkeln at Rathausstr...
Read more